Ana Maria Pires Correia is Associate Professor and Director of the Domingos Lam Centre for Research in Education.
Ana Correia developed her career as a schoolteacher in Portugal and Macau before joining the University of Saint Joseph (formerly Inter-University Institute of Macau). She holds a PhD in Education, summa cum laude, from the Inter-University Institute of Macau-Catholic University of Portugal (awarded 2008), a Master of Education, a Teacher Certificate from the Macau Youth and Education Bureau and a Licentiate in Philosophy from the University of Lisbon.
Ana Correia joined the USJ in 2010 and in 2014 was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Psychology and Education. In 2016 was promoted to Associate Professor and in April 2017 was appointed Dean of the newly created School of Education. Ana Correia was a key contributor to the design and development of the USJ Bachelor of Education and led the creation of other educational programmes such as the Post-Graduate Diploma in Education and the Master of Education. She is currently the module leader for the following programmes: Qualitative Research Methods (PhD programme), Curriculum Design and Development (MEd programme), Research Methods in Education (MEd programme) and Classroom Organisation and Management (BED).
Her research interests range from educational leadership, gender studies in education, inclusive education, classroom management, culturally responsive teaching and philosophical inquiry.
She welcomes PhD candidates interested in developing qualitative research in the following areas:
Inclusive education - policies and practices
Behavioural challenges in the classroom
Gender studies in education
Children and philosophy
- Correia, Ana Maria, and Borges, Vera (2014). “The fiction of Fernanda Dias and Senna Fernandes: revisiting the colonial Macau through the lens of ethnicity, gender and patriarchy.” The Inaugural European Conference on Cultural Studies, 24-27 July, Brighton, UK, 2014. Pending publication
- Correia, Ana (2013). “Um olhar sobre o jogo infantil”. In Dialogando, 34, Sept 2013. Bilingual edition: Portuguese and Chinese.
- Correia, Ana Maria e Marques, Tânia Sales (2013). “Prospects and pitfalls of being a good communicator: Contemplating career choices of female students in Macau.” The 8th Annual Conference of The Asian Studies Association of Hong Kong The Hong Kong Institute of Education, 8-9 March 2013. On-line publication:
- Correia, Ana Maria and Marques, Tânia Sales (2012). “The gender gap in science, engineering, technology & mathematics: unfolding traditional mindsets. Proceedings of Fifth International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation. Madrid, Spain: International Association of Technology, Education and Development, Novembro de 2012.
- Correia, Ana Maria e Sousa, Ivo Carneiro de (2011) (org.). Lusofonia. Encruzilhadas Culturais. Universidade de São José: Saint Joseph Academic Press. Conference Proceedings “Lusofonia, Encruzilhadas culturais”, February, 2011.
- Correia, Ana Maria e Ribeiro, Xénia Flores (2011). “Panos, traje e moda em Angola: a linguagem política do corpo”. In Ana Maria Correia e Ivo Carneiro de Sousa (org.), Lusofonia, Encruzilhadas Culturais, Actas da Conferência sobre Lusofonia. Universidade de São José: Saint Joseph Academic Press, February 2011.
- Correia, Ana Maria (2009). Assimetrias de género. Ensino e liderança educativa. Vila Nova de Gaia: Fundação Manuel Leão. email@example.com
- Correia, Ana Maria e Costa, Jorge Adelino (2004). “Liderança feminina nas escolas de Macau: Uma abordagem exploratória”. In Revista Portuguesa de Investigação Educacional, 3/2004, Year III.
- Correia, Ana Maria e Costa, Jorge Adelino (2003). “A análise da cultura organizacional escolar através dos seus artefactos”. In Revista do Fórum Português de Administração Educacional, 3/2003.
- Correia, Ana Maria e Costa, Jorge Adelino (2002). “As subculturas organizacionais e a avaliação de escolas: genealogia de uma relação conflitiva em estudo de caso.” In Jorge Adelino Costa, António Neto Mendes e Alexandre Ventura (org.), Avaliação de organizações educativas. Proceedings of II Simpósio sobre Organização e Gestão escolar. Aveiro: University of Aveiro.