Short BioÁlvaro Barbosa (Angola 1970) is an Associate Professor and Dean of Faculty of Creative Industries at University of Saint Joseph (USJ) in Macau SAR, China. Prior to this position, He was the acting director of the Sound and Image Department at the School of Arts from the Portuguese Catholic University (UCP-Porto) until September 2012, co-founding in 2004 the Research Center for Science and Technology of the Arts (CITAR), in 2009 the Creative Business IncubatorARTSpin and in 2011 the Digital Creativity Center (CCD). He also promoted several new innovative curricula such as the PhD Program in Science and Technology of the Arts, the Master Program in Creative Industries Management and the Post-Graduation Degrees in Photography and Digital Design. Holding a PhD degree in Computer Science and Digital Communication from Pompeu Fabra University in Spain and a Graduate Degree in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering from Aveiro University in Portugal, his academic activity is mainly focused on the field of Design foir Audio and Music Technology, in which he worked for five years as an Resident Researcher at the Barcelona Music Technology Group (MTG). His recent R&D work, on experimental Network Music and Interactive Sound-Design Systems, was largely fostered in 2010 during a Post-Doctoral Research Position at Stanford University in the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA). His projects, in collaboration with other artists and researchers, have been extensively presented and performed internationally, with special emphasis in Sound and Music Design pieces, Collaborative Interactive Installations, Live Electronic Music, Computer Animation short-film, Design Thinking and Systematic Creativity.
More Information at: www.abarbosa.org
Prof. Álvaro Barbosa has over 50 Peer Reviewed Publications in Books, Journals and Conference Proceedings, resulting in over 400 cumulative citations registered in:
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=xQarvLEAAAAJ
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alvaro_Barbosa4
His top five Publications are:
- Azevedo, M., Barbosa, A. (2014). The creative industries as an integrated factor in a sustainable model for Macao's economic development. Creative Industries Journal, Volume 7(2), 121-133.
[Routledge, Taylor & Francis].
- Gouyon, F., Barbosa, A., Serra, X. (Guest Eds.). (2010). Special Issue on Sound and Music Computing. Computer Music Journal Volume 34 (3).
- Barbosa, A. (2006). Computer-Supported Cooperative Work for Music Applications. PhD Thesis - Music technology Group; Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain.
[PhD Thesis, UPF]
- Barbosa, A. (2005). Public Sound Objects: A Shared Environment for Networked Music Practice on the Web. Organised Sound Volume 10 (3). 233-242.
[Cambridge University Press]
- Barbosa, A. 2003. Displaced Soundscapes: A Survey of Network Systems for Music and Sonic Art Creation. Leonardo Music Journa. Volumel 13, 53-59.
Full list of Publications: http://www.abarbosa.org/pubs.html