Adérito Fernandes Marcos
Official Title: Professor | Research Coordinator for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities | Coordinator of the Doctoral Programme
Born in Mozambique in 1968, graduated in Computer Engineering from the Nova University of Lisbon (1992); holds a PhD summa cum laude in Computer Graphics from the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany (1997); and Habilitation in Tech. and Information Systems from the University of Minho (UM), Portugal (2008). In 2019 he was awarded the honorific professor honoris causa from UNIVEM, São Paulo, Brazil.
He is currently a Full Professor at the Department of Creative Industries of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Saint Joseph, Macao, China.
He started his university career in Germany as a guest assistant at the Technical University of Darmstadt (1992). He was Assist. Prof. in the University of Minho (2000-2009) was a mentor, co-founder and professor in the Master of Computer Graphics and Virtual Environments and Master of Tech. and Digital Art (Director from 2007-2009). In close collaboration with the UM, he has been the Exec. Director of the Computer Graphics Centre (CCG), an Interface Institute for Applied Research (1997–2005). In this position, he coordinated the acquisition of more than 30 Research & Development projects totalling more than 6 million euros. Some of the project's results were pioneers in Portugal. They represented a step forward in the technology transfer of computer graphics and virtual reality (e.g. Virtual Oceanarium for the World Expo 1998). On behalf of CCG, he received the European IST Prize 2000: Grand Prize Winner for the TeleInViVo project and the LAVAL Virtual 2002 – "Science et education" and "GRAND PRIX DU JURY 2002", by the Laval Academy, Mayenne França, for the European project ARCHEOGUIDE.
He is a Full Professor (Professor Catedrático) at Portuguese Open University, where he has been the dean of the Department (faculty equivalent) of Sciences and Technology (2010-2012); President of the Univ. Scientific Council (2015) and founder and first director of the University Pole of the Research Centre for Arts and Communication (2014-2020). He designed several graduations, master's, and doctoral programs, conceived to run in open distance learning mode; as such, they were innovative programs, with particular emphasis on the Doctoral Program in Digital Media Arts, a joint project with the University of Algarve. He successfully supervised 4 post-doctoral, 9 doctoral and about 2 dozen master's candidates.
He is currently the President of the Artech-International, an assoc. for computer, digital and media arts, with activities worldwide. He is a member of ACM, IEEE and SIGGRAPH. He is a regular scientific consultant for several international boards in Europe, Latin America and Russia.
Professor Adérito Fernandes-Marcos is a member of the editorial boards of several scientific journals in areas from computer graphics, arts and design. He is the editor-in-chief of the scientific journal: International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (ISSN: 1947-3117).
More information: CIENCIAVITAE
Professor Adérito Fernandes-Marcos is the author/co-author of more than one hundred articles in refereed Journals, Conference Proceedings, Book chapters and Science Promotion Booklets. His current research interests embrace the areas of computer/digital art, creative media for e-learning, and computer artefacts in general.
Some of the most relevant publications:
– Fernandes-Marcos, A. & Tavares, M. (2022). INNOVATING IN OPEN DISTANCE TEACHING WITH FACE-TO-FACE RETREATS WITHIN A DOCTORAL PROGRAM IN DIGITAL MEDIA ART. In Proceedings of 16th annual International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED2022). 7-8 March 2022 (virtual). IATED editor. pp. 3336- 3343. DOI: 10.21125/inted.2022.0938; ISBN: 978-84-09-37758-9. http://hdl.handle.net/10400.2/11827.
– Urrutia H., P√©rez P., & Fernandes-Marcos A. (2021). "Contemporary art as a factor for knowledge generation from video". In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Digital and Interactive Arts (ARTECH2021). October 13-15, 2021, Aveiro, Portugal. ACM, New York, NY, USA. ISBN: 978-1-4503-8420-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3483529.3483684; http://hdl.handle.net/10400.2/11697.
– Paquete H., Bastos P.B., & Fernandes-Marcos A. (2021). "Orbital Eccentricity. Sound performance, using commercial and military satellites with real-time tracking data". In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Digital and Interactive Arts (ARTECH2021). October 13-15, 2021, Aveiro, Portugal. ACM, New York, NY, USA. ISBN: 978-1-4503-8420-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3483529.3483748; http://hdl.handle.net/10400.2/11698.
– Pereira, Selma, & Adérito, Fernandes-Marcos. (2021). “Post-Digital Fashion: The Evolution and Creation Cycle”. ZoneModa Journal, 11(1), 71–89. https://doi.org/10.6092/issn.2611-0563/13121
– Urrutia, H., Perez, P. & Fernandes-Marcos, A. (2020). “A projeção mural multimédia como formação cultural e democrática no espaço público”. Texto Digital – Revista de Literatura, Linguística, Educação e Artes. Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina. ISSN: 1807-9288. 16(2). p. 194-222. https://doi.org/10.5007/1807-9288.2020v16n2p194;
– Pereira, S., Perez, P. & Fernandes-Marcos, A. (2020). “O Cortejo das Rainhas: Performance Transdisciplinar de Invocação do Feminino e da Água”. Revista ExtraPrensa. Escola de Comunicações e Artes. Universidade de São Paulo. eISSN: 2236-3467. v. 14 n. 1. p. 170 – 191, jul./dez. 2020. https://doi.org/10.11606/extraprensa2021.176388;
– Carvalho E.S., Fernandes-Marcos A., "Virtual Tutor: A Case of Study in University Aberta”, In Tatiana Antipova; Álvaro Rocha (Eds.), Book of Proceedings titled "Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing (Digital Science)", Volume 850; DSIC18 2018 - The 2018 International Conference on Digital Science, 19-21 October 2018, Budva, Montenegro. Chapter, pp. 465-471, Springer, Cham. Springer Book, 2018;https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-02351-5_53. http://hdl.handle.net/10400.2/7620
– Leitão, R., Rodrigues, J. M., & Marcos, A. F. (2018). “Mobile Learning: Benefits of Augmented Reality in Geometry Teaching.” In M. Khosrow-Pour, D.B.A. (Ed.), Enhancing Art, Culture, and Design With Technological Integration (pp. 234-257). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. ISBN: 978-1-5225-5023-5; https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-5023-5.ch012; http://hdl.handle.net/10400.2/7270
– Fernandes-Marcos, A., “Artefacto computacional: elemento central na prática artística em arte e cultura digital”, Revista Lusófona de Estudos Culturais, vol. 3, n. 2, 2017, pp. 129 – 147 (ISSN: 2183-0886). http://www.rlec.pt/index.php/rlec/article/view/182
– Moura, J. M., Marcos, A., Barros, N., & Branco, P. “NUVE: Resizing the Digital Gesture”. International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG), 5(2), 87-100. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/ijcicg.2014070106
– Leitão, R., Rodrigues, J.M.F., Marcos, A., “Game-Based Learning: Augmented Reality in the Teaching of Geometric Solids”, International Journal of Art, Culture and Design Technologies (IJACDT), 4(1), 63-75. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/ijacdt.2014010105.
– Marcos, A., Zagalo, N.: “Instantiating the creation process in digital art for serious games design”. In: “Entertainment Computing”, Manuscript, Available online 22 Dec. 2010, ISSN 1875-9521. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.entcom.2010.12.003
– Adérito Marcos, Pedro Branco and Nelson Zagalo, “The Creation Process in Digital Art”, book chapter, in Borko Furht (Ed.), Handbook of Multimedia for Digital Entertainment and Arts, Springer (978-0-387-89023-4), Chapter XXVII, pp.601-615. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-89024-1_27
– Marcos A.: “Digital Art: When artistic and cultural muse and computer technology merge”. In “IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications”, ISSN: 0272-1716, IEEE Computer Society, Sept/Oct 2007 issue, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 98-103. Doi: http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MCG.2007.123
– Valbom, L., Marcos A.: “Presenting a prototype of an immersive musical instrument”. In “IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications”, ISSN: 0272-1716, IEEE Computer Society, July/August 2007 issue, vol. 27, no. 4, pp.14-19. Doi: http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MCG.2007.7No modules