The Doctoral programme specialty in Global Studies is an inter-disciplinary research track that studies the interconnectedness of cultures across the globe from a historical and contemporary perspective. Predominant subjects are related with the geographical location of Macao and its long-standing tradition of acculturation between east and west. From this perspective, the doctoral programme features research topics primarily under the scope of Design, Architecture, Intercultural Communication, Anthropology, Media Studies, Cultural Studies, Arts and Music and Sociology.
Students complete the curricular part of the programme during the first year, which is composed of the following 5 modules:
- Methodologies of Investigation
- Methods and Techniques for Quantitative Research
- Methods and Techniques for Qualitative Research
- Integrative Research Seminars
- Specialist Studies and Reading Programme
During the first year students are also required to prepare a thesis proposal. The approval of the proposal and completion of all the modules is a requirement to progress to the thesis-writing stage of the programme.
This is the major part of Doctoral students’ studies. Working directly under an academic supervisor, the student independently completes an original and significant research project. Students cannot start their thesis until the work proposed and supervisory arrangements have been approved by the university.
3 to 5 years full-time (evening) programme
English / Portuguese / Chinese
Total Number of Credits for Graduation
Ilha Verde Campus
Programme’s Government Approval (in Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to July
Once per week from 19:00 to 22:30
Open Doctoral Proposals
Click here to find a doctoral proposal that matches your interests.
- Research-oriented programme supported by highly-qualified internal and external researchers from various areas of knowledge and fields of specialization.
- Training in research methods and theoretical concepts in the first year of studies and development of a PhD thesis in a specific field of specialization in the following years.
- Research and Development for private and public organizations
- Academic careers
Please click on any specific module to see its description.