The 1st Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital Contest
USJ is organising the 1st Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital contest under the theme of “Colours”. Registration is open from 17 – 31 March!
The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) is organising the 1st Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital contest under the theme of “Colours”.
Participants must create and submit an original poem that fits into one of the themes associated with:
COLOURS AND SEASONS
COLOURS AND EMOTIONS
COLOURS AND OUR WORLD
The competition is open to:
- Elementary School students: Grade 3 – 6;
- Secondary School students: Form 1 – 6;
- University students (Bachelor and Master degree programmes).
- Registration period: From 17 – 31 March 2022
- Submission of written poems: From 11 – 24 April 2022
- Announcement on semi finals for the selected entries: 10 May 2022
- Final competition and poem Recital: 21 May 2022* (Venue: University of Saint Joseph, Ilha Verde Campus)
*Unforeseen Pandemic Measures may affect the final competition date
Note to Participants:
- Participants are encouraged to be as creative as possible and to follow the rules. They can use figures of speech, descriptive imagery, tones, sounds and punctuation.
- All poems must be submitted in PDF form with contestant’s name, grade and category ONLY. Submit through email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject: School name and Category
- All poems must have a title, be in English and must be within minimum and maximum number of lines for each level, as specified below:
- Elementary Category : minimum of 10 lines and maximum of 14 lines of poetry;
- Secondary Category: minimum of 14 lines and maximum of 20 lines of poetry;
- University Category: minimum of 20 and maximum of 40 lines of poetry.
Terms and Conditions:
- Entrants must submit typed original content, none of which should have been previously published or performed in any media or stage.
- There must be no profanity or otherwise unsuitable content.
- All written entries are judged anonymously and the author’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
- There is a limit of one single entry per person. No amendments are allowed once submitted.
- The judges read and listen to all the entries being recited; their decision is final. Neither the judges nor Poetry organising staff will enter into any correspondence.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to adjust the judging panel without notice and not to award prizes if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified.
- University of Saint Joseph (USJ) will collect and process applicants’ personal data for the purposes of registration and statistical analysis. The data of photos, recordings and videos that are collected will be for the purposes of education and publicity. These data, once collected, may be shared with other units within USJ for transfer, processing and utilisation. In accordance with the prevailing ‘Personal Data Protection Act’ in Macao, applicants are entitled to access and amend their personal data. you may submit a signed request in order to exercise these aforementioned rights.
Phase I: Poetry Writing (25% of total grade)
- Relevance to the theme 20%
- Creativity/Style and Originality 30%
- Coherence of form and structure (harmony of words, presentation) 25%
- Clarity of imagery and language 25%
Phase II: Poem Recitation (75% of total grade)
- Stage presence and presentation 30%
- Poise and spontaneity of recitation 30%
- Intonation and poetic expression 20%
- Clarity of spoken words and diction 20%
- Prizes for the Elementary category are MOP 1,500 (first place), MOP 1,000 (first runner-up) and MOP 500 (second runner-up).
- Prizes for the Secondary category category are MOP 3,000 (first place), MOP 2,000 (first runner-up) and MOP 1,000 (second runner-up).
- Prizes for the University category are MOP 5,000 (first place), MOP 3,000 (first runner-up) and MOP 2,000 (second runner-up).
Participants in the secondary and primary categories will require an online registration submitted by their School representative and have the required documents/works sent to email@example.com.