The Master of Environmental Sciences and Management will prepare you to work in academic, technical and management areas related with environment.
The increasing pressure on natural resources and rising environmental degradation is driving a demand for well-trained professionals in environmental sciences and management both by the private and public sectors. The programme balances research-based modules (e.g. Environmental Technologies; Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health) with management-related modules (e.g. Environmental Management; Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship) to train professionals that master the specific concepts and methods of environmental sciences and that are also able to implement environmental solutions in organisations and industries. A highly qualified body of international researchers and industry leaders from diverse scientific areas supports the programme, allowing students to be integrated in broader projects and receive hands-on training in advanced methods and techniques in environmental sciences. This provides a dynamic and engaging learning environment where students can develop skills and acquire knowledge useful for a career in a number of environment-related areas. Ultimately, the programme aims to increase the supply of professionals that can contribute with solutions to the demanding environmental challenges that the world is facing.
2 years (evening) programme
Recommended Prior Knowledge
A Bachelor degree is required.
・Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship
・Environmental Law and Politics
・Research Methods and Data Analysis
・Pollution and Waste Management
Elective Modules(Students must choose 4 of them)
・Ecology and Ecosystem Conservation
・Climate Change and Coastal Processes
・Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health
・Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Standards
Total Number of Credits for Graduation
Programme’s Government Approval (in Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to July
Mondays to Fridays
- A first year that provides a broad training in relevant concepts and techniques in environmental sciences and management and a second year that promotes specialisation by internships and/or development of a research project in a specific topic for the dissertation
- Organised in close connection to research projects coordinated by the lecturers of the modules, allowing students to be integrated in active research teams
- Broad range of career options in the private and public sector
- In companies and governmental agencies of any nature to implement Environmental Management Systems
- In Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Quality Monitoring and Environmental Remediation teams
- In laboratories to establish and run analytical protocols for the quantification and characterisation of pollutants
- As technicians in liquid and solid waste management stations
- As consultants in environmental consulting companies
- As educators in environmental sciences
- In environmental protection governmental agencies and NGOs
- In R&D in environmental sciences in private and public companies
- As researchers in universities and higher education institutes
Students must complete all the main modules and four (4) optional modules
Please click on any specific module to see its description.