The 2nd Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital Contest
USJ is organising the 2nd Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital contest under the theme of “A Pocketful of Effervescence in the Greater Bay Area”. Submission is open from now to 1st March, 2023.
The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) is organising the 2nd Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital Contest under the theme of “A Pocketful of Effervescence in the Greater Bay Area”.
Each participant must write and submit an original poem that fits into one of the following themes:
Sights and Flavours
A Walk Down Memory Lane
The competition is open to the following categories:
- Elementary School students: Grade 3-6;
- Secondary School students: Form 1-6;
- University students (Bachelor and Master degree programmes) including Mainland and International students. Finalists are required to be present at the Final Contest Recital, otherwise they will be disqualified from the contest.
*Winners of previous “Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital Contests” are ineligible to participate in any further “Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital Contests.”.
- Poem Submission Deadline: 1st of March 2023
- Semi-finals Announcement: 30th of March 2023
- Final Contest Recital: 22nd of April 2023* (Venue: University of Saint Joseph, Ilha Verde Campus)
Finalists are required to be present at the Final Contest Recital, otherwise they will be disqualified from the contest.
*Date may change due to unforeseen Pandemic Prevention Measures.
*Application Fee: MOP 10 per participant should be made within ten days of poem submission. Payment accepted by (i) cash/cheque submitted to USJ Ilha Verde Campus or (ii) bank transfer to:
|(i)||Submit in person： |
Format of cheque:
|Address：||USJ Ilha Verde Campus|
4th Floor Academic Building, Communication and Public Relations Office
Estrada Marginal da Ilha Verde, 14-17
|Time：||Monday – Friday (Except Public Holiday)|
10:00 – 13:00
14:30 – 18:00
|(ii)||Bank Transfer：||Name of the Bank：Bank of China (Macau Branch)|
Name of the Account：Universidade de São José
Account No.： 110120014272
Swift Code：BKCHMOMXXXXORName of the Bank：Banco Nacional Ultramarino (BNU)
Name of the Account：Universidade de São José
Account No.： 9000 0717 55
*Please remark “The 2nd Macao-wide English Poetry Writing and Recital Contest”
Note to Participants:
- Creativity within the rules is encouraged. Poems may use figures of speech, descriptive imagery, tones, sounds, and punctuation.
- Poems must be submitted in Font 14 (Times New Roman) PDF form , identified in the document by contestant’s Name(as shown on ID), Grade, and Category
- Hand written poems must be written in black and/or blue ballpoint or ink pen (no cursive handwriting), and should not be accompanied by any drawings that covers the poem.
- Schools must email an Excel file with the full list of entrants to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: School name and Category.
- Poems must be in English, must have a title, and must be within the specified number of lines by category.
- Elementary Category: minimum of 10 lines and maximum of 14 lines of poetry;
- Secondary Category: minimum of 14 lines and maximum of 20 lines of poetry;
- University Category: minimum of 20 and maximum of 40 lines of poetry.
Terms and Conditions:
- Entrants must submit typed original content, none of which should have been previously published or performed in any media or stage.
- There must be no profanity or otherwise inappropriate
- All entries are judged anonymously, so both the entrant’s name and the entrant’s school name must not appear anywhere in the poem.
- There is a limit of one single entry per person. No amendments are allowed once submitted.
- During the Final Contest, judges will evaluate the poems and performances independently and shall not have any verbal or written contact with the contest organising staff.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to adjust the judging panel without notice and not to award prizes if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified.
- University of Saint Joseph (USJ) will collect and process applicants’ personal data for the purposes of contest registration and statistical analysis. The data from photos, recordings and videos that are collected during contest associated events will be for the purposes of education and publicity. These data, once collected, may be shared with other units within USJ for transfer, processing and utilisation. In accordance with the prevailing ‘Personal Data Protection Act’ in Macao, applicants are entitled to access and amend their personal data. you may submit a signed request in order to exercise these aforementioned rights.
- Upon arrival, Finalists are required to register at reception with their student card and identification document (BIR/PASSPORT)
- All Finalists are allowed to enter the venue with one supervisor and one family member.
- A Green Macao Health code is required to enter the venue for all participants and attendees.
- Finalists should not wear any school uniform nor mention their school name at the Final Contest.
- Finalists should only mention their assigned number and their name during the Final Contest event.
- The poem recital must be performed from memory; no notes are allowed on stage.
Portion I: Poetry Writing (25% of total grade)
- Relevance to the theme: 20%
- Creativity/Style and Originality: 30%
- Coherence of form and structure (harmony of words, presentation): 25%
- Clarity of imagery and language: 25%
Portion II: Poem Recitation (75% of total grade)
- Stage presence and presentation: 30%
- Poise and spontaneity of recitation: 30%
- Intonation and poetic expression: 20%
- Clarity of spoken words and diction: 20%
Cash Prizes and Trophies
- Prizes for the Elementary category are MOP 1,500 (first place), MOP 1,000 (first runner-up),and MOP 500 (second runner-up).
- Prizes for the Secondary category category are MOP 3,000 (first place), MOP 2,000 (first runner-up), and MOP 1,000 (second runner-up).
- Prizes for the University category are MOP 5,000 (first place), MOP 3,000 (first runner-up),and MOP 2,000 (second runner-up).
Other Prizes awarded through the contest are sponsored by: Macao Youth Greater Bay Area Development Association. All Final participants will be awarded with a Certificate of Participation