USJ Participated in the IFCU, ACU & ALÉAS Online Internationalisation Forum “Catholic Universities without Borders - Internationalisation and Risk”
USJ's PIRO attended a two-day webinar on internationalisation and risk, an event promoted to prepare universities for the uncertain future of internationalisation as a consequence of COVID-19.
On October 12th and 13th, 2020, the University of Saint Joseph (USJ), represented by the Director of the Public and International Relations Office (PIRO), Mrs. Paula Mota, and PIRO International Relations Officer, Miss Joana Costa, attended a two-day webinar on internationalisation and risk. The Online Internationalisation Forum “Catholic Universities without Borders – Internationalisation and Risk” was organised by the International Federation of Catholic Universities (IFCU) in collaboration with the Australian Catholic University (ACU) and with the support of ALÉAS, the Canadian leader in international mobility risk management.
After a warm welcome by Professor Zlatko Skrbis, the soon-to-be ACU Vice-Chancellor and President (from January 2021), sessions were facilitated on extremely relevant topics given the current scenario the world is facing such as “Globalisation and Higher Education in the Post-Coronavirus Era: What Impact on Internationalisation?”, “Governance and Risk Management in Higher Education: How to Create and Manage a Crisis Unit?”, and “Will COVID-19 End Internationalisation as We Know It? An Assessment”. Speakers included:
- François Mabille, IFCU Secretary General,
- Kirk Doyle, Associate Director of International Relations and Partnerships at ACU
- Franck Violet, Secretary General of the Federation of European Catholic Universities (FUCE)
- George Mutalemwa, Executive Secretary of the Association of Catholic Universities and Higher Institutes of Africa and Madagascar (ACUHIAM)
- Andrés Barba, Secretary General of Latin American Organisation of Catholic Universities (ODUCAL)
- Marie-Claude Du Cap, Founder and CEO of ALÉAS
- Corinne Melul, Head of IFCU Foresight Unit
- Pierre Memheld, Professor at the University of Strasbourg specialised on risks
During the event, IFCU’s Nicolas Vergier presented the IFCU collaborative platform “World Catholic Universities” as an opportunity for post-COVID internationalisation. The platform serves as a collaborative space for its members, where partnerships may be nurtured and developed and where members will have privileged access to the latest trends and news.
The insightful event concluded with a discussion on the creation of a risk management framework especially tailored for Catholic Universities. IFCU, USJ and remaining Federation members will work closely together towards the creation of said framework.