“Towards a Living Waterfront”: USJ Prof. Nuno Soares as guest speaker at AAM & HKIA Joint CPD
Prof. Nuno Soares was a guest speaker at AAM + HKIA Joint CPD
USJ Prof. Nuno Soares, was a speaker at the Joint AAM / HKIA CPD forum “Waterfront Conceptual Design and Flood Control Facilities Design Forum” jointly organized by The Architects Association of Macau (AAM) and The Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA). The event was held on the 23rd June at the Macau Science Center and was co-organized by the Civil Engineering Laboratory of Macau, Macau Society of Civil and Structural Engineers and Macau Society for Ocean and Hydraulics.
Prof. Nuno Soares presentation titled “Towards a Living Waterfront – Conceptual Urban Designs for Macau” suggests an alternative urban development path for Macau, that in contrast to its previous and gradual shift away from the river, intends to create a new dynamic where the large infrastructural projects, the new land reclamation, climate change, flooding, and the regional Bay area plan all converge to place the waterfront as a key factor in the Pearl Delta’s urban development. “Towards a Living Waterfront” showcased a series of conceptual urban designs for Macau, envisioning a new relation between the city, its citizens and the water. These works were developed under the supervision of Prof. Nuno Soares in the Urban Design Studio of the Master in Urban Design at the School of Architecture from the Chinese University of Hong Kong since 2013.
This was the first CPD jointly organized by AAM and HKIA, it was attended by around 200 AAM and HKIA members, speakers and guests. With a panel of six speakers constituted by architects and engineers from both Macau and Hong Kong, all presentations reflected on the CPD’s topic of “Waterfront Conceptual Design and Flood Control Facilities Design”, illustrating case studies and design planning studies from different technical and academic points of view.
“Waterfront Conceptual Design and Flood Control Facilities Design” CPD Speakers were:
- U Weng Lon – Head of Division, Hydraulics and Sanitation Infrastructures Department of Dssopt with “Inner Harbour Tidal Barrier of Macau”;
- Ao Peng Kong – President of LECM, Chairman of Macau Society for Oceans and Hydraulics, with “Flood Mitigation and Sustainable Development for the Ponte Interior region”;
- Nuno Soares – Acting Head of the Department of Architecture of University of Saint Joseph, with “Towards a Living Waterfront – Conceptual urban designs for Macau;
- Simon Lai – Senior Engineer of Drainage Services Department of HK SAR, with “Flood Mitigation Strategy and Improvement Measures in Hong Kong”
- Wilfred Lau – Arup Fellow and Director, with “Imaginaries of Resistance”; and
- King Kwok Cheung – Chief Project Manager of Architectural Services Department of HK SAR with “Flooding Preventive Works in Hospitals – Bridging of Organizational Silos”.