The Doctoral programme in Government Studies is a research based programme for exploring the advances in the study of public administration, public policies, political studies, and public organisations. Doctoral students in the Faculty of Business and Law (FBL) are encouraged to present papers at international conferences or publish in academic journals. The FBL currently accepts students for the programme that are interested in the research areas of International Aid & Poverty Reduction, International Trade Policies, E-Government, Public Administration, and Legal Studies.
Students complete the curricular part of the programme during the first year, which is composed of the following 5 modules:
- Methodologies of Investigation
- Methods and Techniques for Quantitative Research
- Methods and Techniques for Qualitative Research
- Integrative Research Seminars
- Specialist Studies and Reading Programme
During the first year students are also required to prepare a thesis proposal. The approval of the proposal and completion of all the modules is a requirement to progress to the thesis-writing stage of the programme.
This is the major part of Doctoral students’ studies. Working directly under an academic supervisor, the student independently completes an original and significant research project. Students cannot start their thesis until the work proposed and supervisory arrangements have been approved by the university.
3 to 5 years full-time (evening) programme
English / Portuguese / Chinese
Total Number of Credits for Graduation
Programme’s Government Approval (in Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to July
Once per week from 19:00 to 22:30
Open Doctoral Proposals
Click here to find a doctoral proposal that matches your interests.
- Research-oriented programme supported by highly-qualified internal and external researchers from various areas of knowledge and fields of specialization.
- Training in research methods and theoretical concepts in the first year of studies and development of a PhD thesis in a specific field of specialization in the following years.
- Research and Development for private and public organizations
- Academic careers
Please click on any specific module to see its description.