透過照片說故事 – 映像記錄
- History of photojournalism / documentary photography
- How to spot a good story
- Various approaches to the documentary genre
- How to critique others’ work
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of what working in documentary photography entails
- Have a basic knowledge of the history of photojournalism / documentary photography
- Select and apply appropriate tools to research
- Spot a good story as well as develop it into a project
- Shoot, edit and present a documentary story in a coherent way
The camera is a tool that can help you capture moments and situations for posterity and it also allows you to step back, reflect and comment.
This course is very “hands on”, although we do touch on the theoretical parts of documentary photography. Much of the time you’ll find yourself out shooting single assignments, as well as going through your work with the tutor and your fellow students in the computer room (we work in Adobe Photoshop / Lightroom – there will be a short introduction, so no need to know these programmes before).
The reportage itself is meant to be shot between the parts of the course, so that means that you’ll have some days to work on your chosen story. It is up to you what you end up shooting, but we will go through this in class so as to enable you to choose the best story, as it’s such a vital part of photography. Apart from the main reportage you’ll find yourself out shooting different short assignments, and there’s also a whole day dedicated to street photography, in order for us to talk about what makes a good picture and technical ways of bringing it alive.
The course is taught through a series of tutor-guided exercises and peer critiques, where you will present and explain your work. During the course you will shoot and edit a series of images to use in your portfolio. You will learn how to critique your classmates’ work, in order to get a better understanding of the different approaches to the genre and to help each other edit their work.
Link to Instructor’s Works / 導師作品網頁連結