- FAUSTO GOMEZ BERLANA
Fr. Gomez has worked at the University of Santo Tomas, Manila for forty four years (since 1965) as a Professor and an Administrator. As professor, he has taught in the University of Santo Tomas and in other theological institutions of Manila Fundamental Moral Theology, Grace, Virtues, Justice, Social Doctrine of the Church, and Bioethics.
Among the positions he has held in the University of Santo Tomas are the following: Secretary General (1966-1977), Dean of the Faculty of Theology (1979-1985, 1998-2004), Director of the Social Research Center (1979-1991), Regent of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (1988-1998), Founder and Chairman of the Department of Bioethics (1991-2001) and Regent of the College of Rehabilitation Sciences (1989-1994; 2004-2009). He was the editor of UNITAS, the UST Faculty Journal (1970-1977), and the editor of Bioethics Notes and News (2000-2009)
He has authored a number of books, including the following collections of essays: The Praxis of Justice and Solidarity (1988), Social Ethics: Doctrine and Life (1991), Promoting of Justice, Love, Life (1998), A Pilgrim’s Notes: Ethics, Social Ethics and Bioethics (2005), The Journey Continues: Notes on Ethics and Bioethics (2009), and Vatican II at Fifty Moral and Social Teachings (2013).
At present, Fr. Gomez is professor emeritus at the Catholic University of Saint Joseph in Macao, China, and professor at the University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines. He is a member of the Pontifical Academy for Life, the Society of Catholic Social Scientists, and the Editorial Board of the (USA) National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2014-2015
- St. Dominic 800 Years Later," O Clarim, 7 August 2015: 6-7.
- “The Church and the Elderly: Introducing Ascending Life,” O Clarim, 26 June 2015: 6.
- “My Fatima Experience,” O Clarim, 15 May 2015: 7.
- “The Catholic Church and the Death penalty Today,” O Clarim, 17 April 2015: 5
- “To Be Joyful and Passionate Lovers of Jesus and of All,” O Clarim, 5 December 2014: 4.
- “A Pilgrim’s Notes: The Great Significance of the Moment,” Boletin Eclesiastico de Filipinas, Vol. XCI, No. 910 (March-April, 2015): 153-162
- “The Issue on Abortion,” Life Today (Sa Juan, Metro Manila), September 2014: 14-21.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2015-2016
- "The Gratitude of St. Francis," O Clarim, September 2015: 7.
- "Prayer in the Life of a Christian," Life Today, September 2015: 12-21