MRI Public Forum: “Silence”, Endo Shusaku and Japanese Christian History
MRI Public Forum: “Silence”, Endo Shusaku and Japanese Christian History on 10 October 2018
MRI Public Forum
“Silence”, Endo Shusaku and Japanese Christian History
By Dr. Ayako Fukushima
Date | Time: Wednesday 10 October 2018| 6:30 pm
Venue: Gratia Hall 宏恩堂, The St. Joseph Seminary 聖若瑟修院
Address: St. Joseph Seminary, Largo de Santo Agostinho 5, Macau
E-mail: email@example.com | Contact No.: (853) 2853 2536.
Please reserve your seat before Tuesday 9 October 2018.
About the topic:
The novel “Silence 沈黙” became popular again in 2017 as the movie directed by Martin Scorsese was released worldwide. The film based on a novel by Shusaku Endo and published in 1966 requires a lot of background knowledge of the history of Japan, the history of the Church in Japan, the Hidden Christians as well as of Shusako Endo in order to truly understand the rich meaning of both the novel and the movie.
More on the Speaker
Dr. Ayako Fukushima
- Assistant Professor of Kyushu University (九州大学) in Japan.
- Visiting scholar at the Centre for Catholic Studies of the Chinese University of Hong Kong from the summer of 2018 to the spring of 2019.
Major research: The history of the Catholic Church in Japan and in Hong Kong.
The current major research topic : The maintenance activities by lay Catholics and architectural study of Catholic churches in Japan and Hong Kong.
Major publications of the speaker
- Ayako Fukushima, “Laity Involvement in Catholic Church Buildings of Hong Kong: Interpretation within Religious, Social and Political Contexts from the 1950s to 2015,” PhD dissertation, Kyushu University, 2016.
- Ayako Fukushima and Yoshitake Doi. “The Catholic Building Professional Advisory Group and its Spirituality: Laity Involvement in Church Building System of the Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong” Journal of Architecture and Planning, 80 , 429-439, 2015.
- Ayako Fukushima and Yoshitake Doi. “The Building Process and the Laity Involvement of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Wanchai, Hong Kong: Church building system of the Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong” Journal of Architecture and Planning, 78 , 1431-1440, 2013.
- Ayako Fukushima, Junne Kikata, Tadashi Takao, Hisashi Shibata. “Preserving the “Shell” and Regenerating the spirit –Case Study of Christian churches in islands in the Japan”, Proceedings of ICOMOS 2008: 16th General Assembly and International Scientific Symposium, 2008.