The Doctoral programme in History supports original research in a wide variety of areas, including but not limited to social and cultural history, heritage and urban history, the Chinese diaspora, and history and education. While we welcome research projects with a focus on Macau and the Greater Bay Area, we also encourage scholarly investigation that connects with the wider Asian regions and beyond. Candidates in this programme are expected to contribute significantly to their area of studies through participation in international forums and original peer-reviewed research publications.
Students complete the curricular part of the programme during the first year, which is composed of the following 5 modules:
- Methodologies of Investigation
- Methods and Techniques for Quantitative Research
- Methods and Techniques for Qualitative Research
- Integrative Research Seminars
- Specialist Studies and Reading Programme
During the first year students are also required to prepare a thesis proposal. The approval of the proposal and completion of all the modules is a requirement to progress to the thesis-writing stage of the programme.
This is the major part of Doctoral students’ studies. Working directly under an academic supervisor, the student independently completes an original and significant research project. Students cannot start their thesis until the work proposed and supervisory arrangements have been approved by the university.
3 to 5 years full-time (evening) programme
English / Portuguese / Chinese
Total Number of Credits for Graduation
Ilha Verde Campus
Programme’s Government Approval (in Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to July
Once per week from 19:00 to 22:30
Open Doctoral Proposals
Click here to find a doctoral proposal that matches your interests.
- Research-oriented programme supported by highly-qualified internal and external researchers from various areas of knowledge and fields of specialization.
- Training in research methods and theoretical concepts in the first year of studies and development of a PhD thesis in a specific field of specialization in the following years.
- Research and Development for private and public organizations
- Academic careers
- Corporations, Government and Public Administration.
Please click on any specific module to see its description.