The rapid and substantial economic development of Macao (and indeed China) must be accompanied by equal efforts in developing people and communities. Macao is a different city demographically, economically, socially, religiously, ethnically, linguistically, with a more focused and distinct identity in the global arena. Not surprisingly, while the outward identity of Macao has greater prominence and focus, inwardly, the city shows the scars of rapid change: dilution of traditional neighbourhoods, apprehension over the arrival of numerous foreign workers, and social tensions derived from evolving economic realities. Therein lies the need to develop persons who know how to develop communities.
Community development focuses on the identification, allocation, and effective use of neighbourhood resources, such as people, formal and informal social groups and leadership structures, economic and financial conditions, and on the mobilisation of these resources to bring the community to a higher level of development. This programme of studies in Community Development will train students in the major theoretical and practical approaches to the development of communities.
2 years full-time (evening) programme
Total Number of Credits for Graduation
Ilha Verde Campus
Programme’s Government Approval (in Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to July
Mondays to Fridays
- This programme is a theoretical and an applied multidisciplinary academic field and closely associated with sociology, economics, political science, psychology and business (marketing, organisational behaviour, finance).
- Enables students to learn its theoretical and applications in all sectors of society and all across the globe.
Upon completion of the MCD programme, our graduates may pursue careers in:
- Local government units
- Non-government organisations (NGOs)
- Social and non-profit enterprises
- International organisations / agencies
Students must complete all the following modules
Please click on any specific module to see its description.