The programme of the Bachelor of Philosophy introduces students to the great perennial questions of the philosophical tradition of the West and the East. Studying questions that have relevance in all times, places, and the search for responses to these questions can dispel ignorance, promotes mutual understanding, bridges gaps between traditions and cultures, cherishes and appropriates the diverse intellectual and spiritual heritage of mankind, liberates from various forms of cultural indoctrination and prejudices, and leads to genuine human freedom. By working out a set of coherent answers to enduring questions, the study of philosophy challenges to translate philosophical principles into consistent guides for individual and social life.
The programme understands itself as a in-depth encounter and conversation with ancient, modern, and contemporary thinkers who have shaped our intellectual and spiritual heritage and who continue to influence the course of our community living.
4 years full-time (day) programme
English / Portuguese / Chinese
Total number of credits for graduation
Ilha Verde Campus
Programme’s Government Approval (In Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to May
approximately 20 hours each week
Mondays to Fridays
09:00 to 18:30
- Enable students to have an in-depth knowledge of European philosophy from its beginnings to contemporary times.
- The historical perspective establishes a framework in which students can organise ideas and locate and understand their own culture and era;
- It encourages a sense of tolerance that results from an understanding and awareness of the histories of different cultures and parts of the world.
- The program proposes to offer an intensive and broad-based philosophical education starting with the history of philosophy in Europe and Asia, the influence and reception of Asian thought and philosophy in Europe and vice-versa.
- The program seeks to form students who are intelligent, responsible, reasonable, and attentive. The overall vision of the program is that men and women are oriented in freedom towards one another and towards transcendence.
- A Bachelor of Philosophy is highly useful and recommended for people who would like to pursue higher studies in law, business, management, medicine, journalism, theology and psychology.
- The degree provides a solid foundation to a wide-range of careers which require the ability to think in a creative and disciplined fashion about issues and problems what are new and complex.
This is why a Bachelor of Philosophy is increasingly popular among employers in areas such as finance, marketing, government, journalism as well as education to name but just a few.
Students must complete all the following modules
Please click on any specific module to see its description.