A path to prepare you to be ‘Thinker’ and ‘Catalyst’ of the social work of tomorrow.
The Bachelor of Social Work pertains studies in the methodology of social work practice, social policy, and organisational management with its emphasis on human value and ethics. Graduates will develop skills to promote social change, disentangle human relationships, empower and liberate people to reach their full potential and enhance well-being. Two field placements provide students the opportunity to apply their knowledge acquired whilst furthering their experience to working in different and dynamic environments. This programme is a path to prepare you as ‘thinker’, advocate, risk assessor, care manager, agent of social control and social change.
Local students enrolling in Bachelor of Social Work programme are entitled to apply for a “Special Support Grant” from the Macao Higher Education Bureau (currently DSES, formerly known as DSEJ). For details please contact DSES.
4 years full-time (day) programme
Total Number of Credits for Graduation
Ilha Verde Campus
Programme’s Government Approval (in Chinese and Portuguese only) (Click here)
September to May
Approximately 20 hours each week
Mondays to Fridays 09:00 to 18:30
- This programme strongly links academic learning with professional practice
- Entrains our students the ability to think ahead with scientific research evidence
- Enables our students to reach out to other communities of different racial and ethnic backgrounds
The most dynamic and internationalized learning environment, USJ has always been proactive to educate outstanding thinkers and social work practitioners to serve and reach out to diverse communities. Our graduates are equipped with skills that could intervene individuals, families, and groups who are in the midst of frustration and vulnerability, and strive to make a difference through community organizations. We have an exceptional Faculty coming from different corners of the world and very much at the forefront of social work practice, research and training. They are highly qualified experts in their respective fields, enthusiastic and engaged in a multitude of research projects.
We believe that social work education at a tertiary level should primarily be the training of the minds, and form professional leaders in an evidence-based practice and decision-making model. At USJ, we are certain you will enjoy the opportunity to participate in this exciting journey to deal with social issues first hand at the heart of a growing city. We welcome your interest and look forward to seeing you as you explore a social work career in a dynamic environment like the University of Saint Joseph.
Prof. Ning Tang
- This programme allows graduates to work in varied contexts such as social welfare and development services, medical and health services, geriatric care, disability services, correctional services, child and family services, youth services, international development
- Graduates may also be involved in community work, individual and family counselling, group work, policy development, advocacy and research
Students must complete all the following modules
Please click on any specific module to see its description.