One year ful-time (day) programme
Faculty of Humanities
The Portuguese Intensive Course is designed to provide students starting from scratch with written and oral communication skills to reach B1 level, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for the Languages.
Bearing in mind China national policy towards the training of Portuguese bilingual talents in Portuguese-Chinese and the requests received from Macao SAR Government to contribute to Macao’s role as a platform for the teaching and enhancement of the use of Portuguese, the Department of Portuguese offers a Portuguese Intensive Course (as a foreign Language). The intensive preparation will allow students to reach the necessary level of proficiency in order to apply to Bachelor courses requiring B1 level, in Macao or Portuguese universities; they will also have an obvious advantage in applying later to an exchange programme or even applying to a Portuguese university. For those wanting to become teachers of Portuguese in Macao, they will be able to apply to USJ’s Bachelor of Education. The course provides an immersion in the target language of 22,5 hours/week, 62 hours/semester per module, in a total of 10 modules in 1 academic year. The teachers of this programme are Portuguese native speakers, except for one bilingual teacher (Chinese/Portuguese), and they are all scientifically, pedagogically trained and experienced Portuguese Language teachers. Ultimately, this programme aims to contribute to the role of MSAR in the enhancement of the Portuguese language throughout the Pacific region.
1 year full-time (day) programme
2 years part time (evening) programme
Portuguese and Chinese (one bilingual teacher)
No prior knowledge of Portuguese
High school qualifications are required
- Structure of the Portuguese Language I, II
- Phonetics of Portuguese
- Reading in Portuguese
- Writing in Portuguese I, II
- Portuguese Conversation Practice I, II
- Portuguese Selected Readings
- Language and Culture
Classes take place from September to May each academic year. Summer classes, internships and examinations may be scheduled in June and July. Please refer to the official academic calendar for the most updated information.
On average, students will have approximately 18.5 hours of classes each week. Classes are scheduled from Mondays to Fridays, from 09:00 to 18:15. Exceptionally, classes may be scheduled in the evenings or on Saturdays.
- Students will reach the level of proficiency in Portuguese which will enable them to apply to a programme in a Portuguese university or to an exchange programme with a university in Portugal;
- Students will be able to apply to USJ’s Bachelor in Education (Faculty of Psychology and Education), to pursue a career as a teacher of Portuguese in Macau.
- Students will be able to apply to a translation and interpretation training programme in Portuguese-Chinese.
Students must complete all the following modules
Please click on any specific module to see its description.