The Master of Environmental Sciences and Management will prepare you to work in academic, technical and management areas related with environment.
The increasing pressure on natural resources and rising environmental degradation is driving a demand for well-trained professionals in environmental sciences and management both by the private and public sectors. The programme balances research-based modules (e.g. Environmental Technologies; Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health) with management-related modules (e.g. Environmental Management; Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship) to train professionals that master the specific concepts and methods of environmental sciences and that are also able to implement environmental solutions in organizations and industries. A highly qualified body of international researchers from diverse scientific areas supports the programme, allowing students to be integrated in research projects and receive hands-on training in advanced methods and techniques in environmental sciences. This provides a dynamic and engaging learning environment where students can develop skills and acquire knowledge useful for a career in a number of environment-related areas. Ultimately, the programme aims to increase the supply of professionals that can contribute with solutions to the demanding environmental challenges that the world is facing.
2 years part-time (evening) programme
Recommended prior knowledge
A Bachelor degree is required.
- Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Law and Politics
- Research Methods and Data Analysis
- Pollution and Waste Management
- Environmental Management
Elective Modules(Students must choose 4 of them)
- Environmental Ethics
- Ecology and Ecosystem Conservation
- Environmental Technologies
- Climate Change and Coastal Processes
- Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Standards
Total number of credits for graduation
Programme’s Government Approval (In Chinese and Portuguese only)
Classes are scheduled from September to July each academic year. Please refer to the official academic calendar for the most updated information.
Typically, classes take place three evenings per week, from 19:00 to 22:00. Exceptionally, classes may be scheduled on Saturdays or in additional weekday evenings.
- in companies and governmental agencies of any nature to implement Environmental Management Systems;
- in Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Quality Monitoring and Environmental Remediation teams;
- in laboratories to establish and run analytical protocols for the quantification and characterization of pollutants;
- as technicians in liquid and solid waste management stations;
- as consultants in environmental consulting companies;
- as educators in environmental sciences;
- in environmental protection governmental agencies and NGOs;
- in R&D in environmental sciences in private and public companies;
- as researchers in universities and higher education institutes.
Students must complete all the main modules and four (4) optional modules
Please click on any specific module to see its description.